Sunday, September 1, 2019

Open Letter to My Family: Never Alone

From the earliest days of Covid, I expect most of us encountered talk of death, and when conversations took this turn, there was inevitably discussion of what the final days and hours may be like for those struck down by this virus. And one word that rose from every description was this: 

"ALONE"

What a sad thing to imagine. A loved one, unwell, struggling to breathe, with no family member or even friend at their side. No hand to hold, no chance for a last "I love you." A solitary passing. It is a sad image to envision.

But I want you to know this: Whenever, and however I may leave this world, that word will not apply to me.

I know this because I am never alone. My Lord and Saviour is with me, just as He promised. Just as He has been from the first moment I placed my faith in Him.

"lo, I am with you always, even until the end of the world." 
- Matthew 28:20b

And because of that, I will not die alone, regardless of whatever circumstances may surround my final moments on this earth. The Lord my God will be with me. His grace and comfort, peace and joy will be the companions of the last beat of my heart.

I know and am certain of this, not because my faith is remarkably strong, or for any other reason connected to me. I know it because God is faithful. I have failed Him many times but He has never failed me. I have seen evidence of His faithfulness time and time again throughout my life. I trust that. I trust Him. I trust His Word. And His Word promises...

"I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee." Hebrews 13:5b 






Remember this. Hold it in your heart until we meet again.

Precious Lord, take my hand
Lead me on, let me stand
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn
Through the storm, through the night
Lead me on, to the light
Take my hand, precious Lord, lead me home.
 
When my way grows drear
Precious Lord, linger near
When my light is almost gone
Hear my cry, hear my call
Hold my hand, lest I fall
Take my hand precious Lord, lead me home.

When the darkness appears
And the night draws near
And the day is past and gone
At the river I stand
Guide my feet, hold my hand
Take my hand precious Lord, lead me home.

Precious Lord, take my hand
Lead me on, let me stand
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn
Through the storm, through the night
Lead me on, to the light
Take my hand, precious Lord, lead me home.


 
This post was backdated for filing purposes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this! what a wonderful message of love and faith at a time when we all need it. Thank you! ❤